Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Bisphenol-A

When Kylie was on formula and getting fed via the bottle, we decided to switch from plastic to glass bottles with the recent hype on BPA. I looked into the issue a bit and tried to decide what would be best. There were a few studies I read where BPA was tested on animals and bad outcomes were found- such as cancer, diabetes, obesity. We switched over to glass for peace of mind and it's challenged me to look at what I drink or eat out of (no more Nalgene bottle). Although, I recently found Nalgene has a new water bottle BPA free. I had no idea the recycle symbol on the bottom of plastic bottles/containers can tell you if it contains BPA. So finding a number 7 on the bottom of my tupperware or bottles wasn't a good thing. I would love any additional information on the subject if you have it!
Thanks for encouraging me to blog about it Candace.

4 comments:

Dana said...

Thanks Misty! I am totally following your example (7 months from now). I also want to link your post to my blog- so many moms need to know this stuff! You the woman. =)

j.yue said...

yes. misty i just found out about this while pregnant. i got some great bottles from "mother nature's" in southeast pdx. they have these ones that are super neat and shaped especially for breastfeeding babies.
you gotta check them out. and they are all free of all the junk you are talking about. i think you can check them out on their website. i got those instead of glass. let me know if you have/find anymore info on the plastic ones that are free of junk vs. the glass...

Victoria said...

Hey Misty!
This is Tori! I just found your blog through a very random connection which maybe I'll tell you about someday. It is fun to see pics of Kylie. I knew you were expecting but I didn't know when she arrived.
We've been using glass bottles too. We are all breast milk - Elias hasn't had any allergy problems - but I'm pumping and giving a bottle once every few days. I'm going back to work about 12 hours a week next week so our midwife recommended we start him on a bottle around 4-6 weeks so he got used to it. I've never used a plastic bottle so I can't compare but I've definitely not had problems with the glass ones. They also come with silicone nipples which is nice. It seems like almost everything has some crazy chemicals in it - pacifiers, toys, etc. We try to balance avoiding it with trusting the Lord when we can't.
So good to catch up on your family via your blog. If you want to see pictures of our cute little man, our blog is happilywetwo.wordpress.com. I look forward to hearing from you.
Tori

Victoria said...

I saw this today and thought you might be interested: http://www.passionatehomemaking.com/2008/06/avoiding-harmful-baby-products.html.